Then and now … always looking ahead.
SUPPORT GROUPS, CLASSES AND SERVICES
Click on the location below to go directly to specific information for that area of San Diego.
Flyer for Spanish Support Groups: Click Here
All of San Diego
Please look around, we hope you can find the information you seek through this website. Telephone Help, information, and referrals about brain injuries is available by calling the San Diego Brain Injury Foundation at 619-294-6541. You can also send us your questions to our Email.
- Are you assisting a relative or friend with a chronic and disabling condition? Southern Caregiver Resource Center can help you to find the best options for you and your loved one; and the help is free. Services include: Specialized Information, Family Consultation/Case Management, Respite Care, Short-Term Counseling, Support Groups, Legal/Financial Consultation, and Education and Training. Please call 858-262-4432 or 800-827-1008 for more information.
- Support Groups for Caregivers include General Caregiver Support Groups in San Diego, Rancho Bernardo, and Fallbrook as well as specialized groups for the Adult-Child as Caregiver, Huntington’s Disease Caregiver, and Multiple Sclerosis Caregiver. Please call 858-262-4432 or 800-827-1008 for more information.
- Support And Resources In English And Spanish For Families Of Children With Special Needs are provided by the Exceptional Family Resource Centers throughout San Diego County. The main office is 9245 Sky Park Court #130, San Diego. Call 800-281-8252.
- Support Groups For Adult Children Caregivers from 5:30-7:00 pm; meets 2nd and 4th Thursdays. 3675 Ruffin Road #230, San Diego. For information on Walking Groups for Caregivers or other Caregiver Support Groups in your area call 858-268-4432 or 800-827-1008.
- Caregiver Support Groups and Stroke Support Groups are conducted by Kaiser Permanente for its members in five locations, Bonita, Escondido, Point Loma, San Diego and San Marcos. Call 619-641-4456.
- Support Groups For Adults With Epilepsy are offered throughout San Diego County by the Epilepsy Society. For information call 619-296-0161.
- Sports, Recreation And Wellness/Support programs, seasonal clinics and trips offered through Sharp Rehabilitation Services. Call 858-939-3048 or Click Here
- Sharp Players Drama Group: every Friday, 3:00-4:30 p.m. at Sharp Rehabilitation Center. Call 858-939-3156.
- Adaptive Driving Program per appointment through Sharp Rehabilitation Center. Call 858-939-6966.
- Physical therapy, assisted fitness, and chair aerobics at Challenge Center, 5540 Lake Park Way, La Mesa. Call: 619-667-8644.
- Aquatic fitness is provided by The Salvation Army, Kroc Center, 6845 University Ave. Call: 619-287-5762
ABI Classes For Adults With Acquired Brain Injury are offered Monday through Thursday afternoons by the San Diego Community College District at Mesa College. For enquiries about ABI at Mesa, please call (619) 388-1952. Also offered Monday through Friday mornings at West City. For enquiries about ABI at West City or ECC, please call (619) 388-4812.
San Diego Brain Injury Foundation General Meetings are held the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10 a.m.-noon. Joyce Beers Community Center which is part of the Uptown District Shopping Center near Highway 163 and University. Call 619-294-6541.
Variety of Programs and Services for Adults With Disabilities offered by Access 2 Independence, 619-293-3500.
Young Enthusiastic Stroke Survivors Group (YESS!) meets certain Tuesdays of each month at 6:00 pm at Sharp Rehabilitation Center. 2999 Health Center Drive, San Diego. Call 858-939-6762.
Brain Injury Support Group For Survivors And Families by The Head Injury & Trauma Support System (HITSS) is held every Saturday from 1:00-2:30 pm in the 3rd floor conference room at UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest. Call 800-986-4487.
Socialization and Therapeutic Programs for disabled individuals are sponsored by the San Diego Recreational Services For The Disabled. Call 619-525-8247.
Caregiver Support Group at the Clairemont Friendship Senior Center meets from 1:30-3:00 pm 2nd & 4th Wednesdays of each month. 4425 Bannock Avenue, San Diego. Call SCRC 800-827-1008.
Adaptive Golf Clinic every Saturday from 11:00-12:30 a.m. at Sheraton 4 Points Hotel. $30 for 6 weeks or $7.00 per class. Contact Sharp Recreation Therapy Services at 858-939-3048.
Adaptive Yoga every Monday, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Sharp Rehabilitation Center, $30 for 6 weeks. Call 858-939-3085
Gentle Fitness Exercise Program every Wednesday, 9:15-10:15 a.m. at Sharp Cabrillo Rehabilitation Services. Contact 619-221-3744. Every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00-10 a.m. at Sharp Coronado Motion Center. Contact 619-522-3729. Chair aerobics every Thurdsay, 1:00 p.m. at Sharp Rehab Center. Contact 858-939-3085.
Challenged Women’s Support Group usually meets the first Saturday of each month from 10-11:30 a.m. in the Sharp Rehabilitation Center, conference room #4. 2999 Health Center Dr., San Diego, CA 92123. Call Jennifer Burdeaux at 858-939-3153 to confirm location or for more details.
Adaptive Weight Training meets Monday and Wednesday, 4:30-6:00 p.m. at Sharp Rehabilitation Center, $25 for 3 months, contact 858-939-3048
ABI Classes For Adults With Acquired Brain Injury are held at Palomar Community College’s Adaptive Living Skills Program (ABI) on Monday, Tuesday & Thursday from 1:00-4:00 pm at the Escondido Center Campus. Call 760-744-1150 ext. 2375.
Variety Of Programs And Services For Adults With Disabilities offered by the Access 2 Independence, North County Branch. Call 760-643-0447.
Head Injury & Trauma Support System (HITSS) of Palomar Medical Center and Learning Services for survivors and families meets every Saturday from 9:00-10:30 am in the Graybill Auditorium. 555 East Valley Parkway, Escondido. Call 800-986-4487.
Tri-City Medical Center Aphasia Group meets every Thursday, 11am-noon in the Rehab Dining Room, 4002 Vista Way, Oceanside. Stroke Exercise Class meets every Thursday, 10—11am in classroom 7. Call 760-940-7272.
North County S.D. Brain Injury Foundation General Meetings are held the second Saturday of each month from 10am—noon at Scripps Hospital, 354 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas in the Conference Center.
Gray Matters – North County Brain Injury Support Group is a social support network for survivors living independently in the community. Offered monthly on the third Thursday, at the Del Mar Library in the Community Room, from 5:30-7:00 p.m. Please call Heidi for information: (760) 579-3895 or email@example.com to confirm times for the meeting, as due to room availability, sometimes the date may change.
Stroke Program in La Mesa sponsored by Grossmont Rehabilitation Services: Gentle Exercise Program every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00-10 a.m. and 10:30-11:30 a.m. Adaptive Golf Clinic every Saturday, 9:30-10:30a.m Rehab Center, Recreation Therapy Patio, $30/6 weeks. Adaptive Aquatics, call for days and time: 619-740-4100. Stroke Club, 3rd Tuesdays, various locations. Call: 619-740-4104.
Ann DahlGunther Communication Group at Grossmont on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. for stroke and brain injury survivors with aphasia or other speech or language difficulties. Cost: $30/month. Call Jennifer: 619-740-4100.
Comebacker’s Neuro Club, a support and recreational group for survivors of stroke or brain injury and family members, meets at the San Diego Rehabilitation Institute (SDRI) the 4th Friday of each month at 1:00 pm in the 1st floor conference room. 6645 Alvarado Road, San Diego. Call 619-229-7362.
Fitness Clinic For Individuals With Physical Disabilities including brain injuries takes place at Peterson Gym as part of the Department of Exercise & Nutritional Sciences of San Diego State University. The Clinic operates 48 weeks per year. Call 619-594-2017.
Chronic Pain Support Group meets the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 1:00-3:00 pm in the 3rd floor conference room at the San Diego Rehabilitation Institute (SDRI). 6645 Alvarado Road, San Diego. Call 619-229-7205.
Art Abilities meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month from 1:00-2:30 pm at the San Diego Rehabilitation Institute (SDRI) in the 3rd floor conference room. 6645 Alvarado Road, San Diego. Call 619-229.7205
ABI Classes For Adults With Acquired Brain Injury are Monday through Thursday afternoons by the San Diego Community College at the Educational Cultural Complex in South San Diego. Call 619-388-6983.
Special Classes With Academic Accommodations For Students With Disabilities are offered at Southwestern Community College. Call 619-482-6512.
Support Group meets every Wednesday from 3:00-4:30 pm at the Glenner Alzheimer Family Center. 280 Saylor Drive, Chula Vista. Call 619-420-1703..
The couples meet for fun, socializing, talking about how roles have changed, and sharing resources.
All couples are welcome. If you are interested in joining the group or would like more
information, call the SDBIF office 619-294-6541 or send your contact information to our Email.